Designed with back sleepers in mind, the Amerisleep AS2 is a medium-firm mattress that works to keep your spine properly aligned all night long. With their exclusive Hive® transition layer, it targets sore pressure points so you wake feeling pain-free. In addition, it features an open-cell design, making it one of the few memory foam mattresses that sleep cool.
Pick Amerisleep AS2 if...
- You have back pain. The Amerisleep AS2 is designed specifically to facilitate healthy spinal alignment. If you sleep on your back and need a mattress that alleviates your sore pressure points, the AS2 is a great option.
- You prefer an all-foam mattress. The Amerisleep AS2 is constructed with three layers of dense memory foam in a medium-firm feel that cradles and adapts to your body.
- You tend to sleep hot. This mattress is built with Amerisleep's patented plant-based Bio-Pur® material layer which allows more air to circulate in and out. It sleeps cooler than traditional foam beds so you can finally say goodbye to sweaty nights!
Seek alternatives to Amerisleep AS2 if...
- You sleep primarily on your side. The AS2 is designed with back sleepers in mind. Because of this, it has a slightly firmer feel which may be too uncomfortable for side sleepers. In this case, a softer mattress such as the Amerisleep AS5 or Saatva Latex Hybrid mattress is better suited to cradle the shoulders and hips when lying on your side.
- You need extra support. While the dense foam layer inside the Amerisleep AS2 are well equipped to handle people 200lbs. or less, heavier set individuals might not feel as supported. Instead, opt for a mattress with a durable coil base to prevent sinkage too far into the mattress. A good choice is the Saatva HD which can withstand sleepers weighing between 300-500lbs. with ease!
The AS2 has a medium-firm feel (6.5/10 on the firmness scale) and is the most popular comfort level for back and stomach sleepers. It provides just enough give to cradle your body, but is firm enough to lift and align your spine properly.
Construction & Design
- Cover. Ultra-breathable, it's made from a blend of Celliant fabric, spandex, and polyester that feels soft and stretchy to the touch. It helps your body recover by retaining body heat and converting it into infrared energy, which then gets transmitted back to your body to help alleviate sore muscles and improve circulation.
- Top Layer. Plant-based Bio-Pur® material keeps you cool all night. It features an open-cell design that allows more air to escape than traditional foam. It also contours to your body to relieve pressure points and bounces back fast, so you won't feel stuck.
- Transition Layer. Hive® layer provides targeted support and pressure relief so you can sleep in perfect alignment. It gives your head, back, and legs more support and your shoulders and hips more cushion.
- Base Layer. Bio-Core® base layer gives you durable support that lasts for decades. It won't sag or develop soft spots over time.
Because of the all-foam design, the AS2 does an excellent job of eliminating motion transfer. Memory foam is one of the best materials at absorbing motion, so if you happen to have a particularly active sleep partner, the AS2 is a worthy consideration.
While the dense memory foam layers lend themselves well when it comes motion transfer, in terms of edge support, it's not the greatest. While you won't necessarily feel as if you're going to roll off the bed, there's some noticeable collapse when lying or sitting on the edge. If this is a must-have feature for you, there are many other brands that are more secure around the edges. For example, the Saatva Classic Hybrid Innerspring mattress is built with a Dual Perimeter edge support system which provides unparalleled stability and security around the edges of the bed.
Bed Frame Compatibility
The Amerisleep AS2 is compatible with a wide variety of frames, including:
- Slatted Bases (given the slats are no more than 3" apart)
- The floor (not recommended, but technically can be done)
Amerisleep provides free shipping and returns on every one of their mattresses, including the AS2. You can try it for 100-nights risk-free, and it's also backed by a 20-year warranty.
Why Buy Amerisleep AS2?
- You experience frequent lower back pain. The AS2's Hive® transition layer is zoned in 5 areas to provide firmer support for your head, back and legs. This guarantees your spine stays in alignment all night long so you wake up feeling refreshed and pain-free.
- You sleep with a partner. The Amerisleep AS2 does an excellent job at absorbing motion. You won't have to worry about disturbing your partner if you need to get out of bed, and you finally won't have to feel them tossing and turning at night.
- You love memory foam, but don't want to overheat. Hot sleepers have been told to avoid memory foam beds as they trap heat and cause you to sleep incredibly hot. But, the AS2 is different. It's built with an open-design which creates several air channels that allow air to continually flow through. This is one memory foam mattress that's actually breathable.
Why Avoid Amerisleep AS2?
- You want an innerspring mattress. The Amerisleep AS2 is an all-foam mattress. If you're looking for the lift that only coils can provide, consider the Amerisleep AS2 Hybrid instead.
- You're indecisive. While Amerisleep does provide a 100-night sleep trial, many other companies provide even more time to test out your new bed. Take for example, Saatva. They offer a 180-night trial (nearly 3 more months than Amerisleep!)
The Amerisleep AS2 is a fantastic option if you want a firm yet supportive mattress designed to alleviate back pain. It's also surprisingly comfortable. You can get 30% off the AS2, today!