Pick Sleep Essentials if...
- You want to customize each layer of your mattress. One of the greatest benefits that Sleep Essentials offers is the opportunity to customize each layer of your mattress. This customization ensures that your new mattress is tailored to your preferences.
- You're looking for an eco-friendly alternative to memory foam. Sleep Essentials mattresses are made from 100% natural latex and are chemical free. These mattresses are are more environmentally friendly than polyurethane foam.
- You want to support a small, local business. Sleep Essentials is a small, locally owned business with just three store locations in Roanoke, Richmond, and Raleigh. You can feel good about supporting the local economy when purchasing a Sleep Essentials mattress.
Seek alternatives to Sleep Essentials if...
- You're looking for a hybrid. Sleep Essentials only uses natural latex, so they don't provide any hybrid or innerspring models. If this is the style bed you want, consider Saatva instead. They offer both hybrid and innerspring mattresses.
- Customizing your own mattress seems like work. While Sleep Essentials does offer 4 prearranged customizations, their maximum value is offered through customization. Choosing from one of the prearranged models greatly reduces the variety to choose from, and if you're not sure what you like, customization might be more work than fun.
If you're customizing your Sleep Essentials mattress, there are dozens of different firmness levels that you could create by layering any combination of Sleep Essentials' latex foam. Their four prearranged models span over a comprehensive firmness range: Soft, Medium, Medium Firm, and Firm:
- Soft: This firmness level is optimal for side and combination sleepers looking for shoulder and hip pressure relief. If you like superior cushioning and feeling more "in" your mattress than "on" it, plush caters to this preference.
- Medium: This is a medium firmness level ideal for all sleep styles, including back and stomach sleepers. Luxury firm provides the cushioning you crave with the support you need for healthy spine alignment.
- Medium Firm: Firm is best for back and stomach sleepers who still want a mattress that provides adequate give and responsiveness.
- Firm: Firm models provide superior support and weight distribution, optimal for stomach sleepers. You'll feel more "on" than "in" this mattress.
Construction & Design
- Sleep Essentials offers entirely custom models, or 4 arrangement recommendation models made from 100% natural latex.
- All models feature a soft cotton mattress cover.
- Arrangement Recommendation #1: Made with an ultra-soft top layer and two medium-soft core and base layers, this model is perfect for those who like a soft, pillowy mattress feel.
- Arrangement Recommendation #2: Made with a soft top layer and two medium core and base layers, this mattress is perfect for those who crave a soft mattress but need pressure-point relief.
- Arrangement Recommendation #3: Featuring a medium-soft top layer and two medium-firm core and base layers, this mattress is great for those who need a firmer feel, but also need deep pressure-point relief.
- Arrangement Recommendation #4: This model features a medium-firm top layer and two Ultra Firm core and base layers, great for those who sleep on their stomach or back.
While natural latex generally performs well at motion isolation, the key to just how well these mattresses perform is how you choose to customize. Firmer customizations typically reduce motion transfer better than softer ones. Choose a medium firmness for optimal comfort and motion isolation – perfect for couples.
With customization entirely in your hands, how well your mattress performs at edge support is up to you. Firmer base layers typically mean better edge support. That being said, Sleep Essentials doesn't provide a high-density latex foam edge system, or something comparable, for specialized edge support. So while firmer base layers will help, Sleep Essentials doesn't perform exceptionally at edge support.
Bed Frame Compatibility
Sleep Essentials mattresses are compatible with any frame or foundation, although they do make their own adjustable bed frames and solid foundations made specifically for your Sleep Essentials mattress.
Sleep Essentials offers free shipping within the US, but doesn't offer any returns, meaning that once you purchase a Sleep Essentials mattress, you can't get your money back. They do offer a 60 day quality assurance period where you can swap out different latex layers to make sure the bed is to your liking. All Sleep Essentials mattresses are protected by a 10 year warranty, and the cover includes a 1 year warranty.
Why Buy Sleep Essentials?
- You want a healthier sleep. Sleep Essentials promises a healthier sleep free from chemical treatments, like flame retardants. If you want a cleaner, more natural sleep environment, Sleep Essentials is a great choice.
- You're looking for a perfect, all-foam mattress fit. If you love the feeling of an all-foam mattress, but wish you could customize each layer for your comfort preferences, Sleep Essentials delivers. Choose any combination of latex layers to create your perfect fit.
- You're looking for a mattress foundation or adjustable base as well. Sleep Essentials sells both of these products on their site alongside their mattresses, making it easy to bundle these purchases and have them delivered at the same time.
Why Avoid Sleep Essentials?
- You're indecisive. Whether you have a hard time deciding on how to customize, or you're relying on a sleep trial to decide if the mattress is the right fit, Sleep Essentials is not a great choice if you're indecisive. You don't have a chance to return your mattress- once you have a Sleep Essentials mattress, there's no going back. For better security, go with Saatva. They offer a generous 180-night sleep trial, plus free returns!
Sleep Essentials is a great choice if you want a custom latex mattress. Their mattresses are also surprisingly comfortable. You can get Sleep Essentials for a great price, today!