Pick the Sleep Number i8 if...
- You sleep with a partner. One of the most innovative features of this mattress is the ability to adjust comfort and firmness levels on either side of the mattress, so that you and your partner can sleep together comfortably without compromise!
- You want to sleep cool. The i8 uses temperature regulating technology that pulls away excess heat and redistributes it throughout the night to create an optimal sleep environment on each side of the mattress. Plus, its smart 3D fabric is 50% cooler than the industry standard!
- You want a high tech mattress. If you're looking for a top tier, high tech mattress with smartphone syncing, foot warming, and endless adjustability, the i8 is the perfect choice for you. It delivers all of these state-of-the-art features and more!
Seek alternatives to the Sleep Number i8 if...
- You're looking for a more traditional mattress. Perhaps you're shopping for your guest bedroom, your growing child, or you simply prefer a conventional mattress. If simplicity is what you're looking for in a mattress, it's best to skip the Sleep Number i8. If you're in the market for an innerspring or memory foam mattress, we highly recommend Saatva. They make luxury mattresses that don't require the know-how of a high-tech bed, plus come with free white glove delivery and setup.
- You're not tech savvy. The above point becomes much more important if you're not great with technology. The i8's phone syncing features, remote controllability, and auto adjustments are what makes this mattress stand apart from the rest. If using a remote to control your comfort levels, sleep position, and more seems like too much hassle, skip the Sleep Number i8!
The Sleep Number i8's firmness and comfort levels are what makes this mattress, and Sleep Number as a whole, such an attractive product. Breaking down the firmness and feel of the i8 isn't as easy as listing 5 different firmness levels, as Sleep Number's adjustable comfort feature provides 100 different levels. Sleep Number explains that somewhere between 0 and 100 lies your unique comfort level, with 100 being the firmest level. Sleep number calls this your unique Sleep Number setting!
Construction & Design
- The Sleep Number i8 comes in 12" high and is made of 6 highly adaptable comfort layers. Core Sleep Number i8 features include:
- Dual Sleep Number Setting Adjustability: Both you and your partner can sleep at your ideal comfort levels with dual comfort adjustability. You can both select any level between 0-100 to suit your individual comfort and support needs.
- Automatically Responds and Adjusts: The i8 is highly adaptable and auto-adjusts according to any movements or temperature changes throughout the night to provide the best comfort and support possible.
- Sleep IQ score: Ever wondered what your sleep quality is like each night? By syncing your i8 to the Sleep Number SleepIQ app, you can monitor your sleep patterns after each night through sensors in your mattress.
- Flexfit Options: Upgrade your Sleep Number i8 to an i8 FlexFit 1, 2, or 3 to adjust your head and feet positions, access foot warming technology, or even under-bed lighting, which makes getting up in the middle of the night a breeze.
The Sleep Number i8 auto adjusts to every shift you make during sleep to optimally support you throughout the night.This feature reduces motion greatly, making the i8 excellent at motion isolation. Plus, the ability to customize both sides of the bed ensures that you and your partner remain undisturbed, making this mattress an unparalleled sleep solution for couples.
While Sleep Number performs well at motion isolation, edge support may be an important feature that was overlooked in the creation of the i8. There's no explicit edge support system, and while the bed is made from 6 layers of high quality, durable foams, there's no way that the i8 delivers the same edge support that a mattress with a high density coil border, or even a reinforced steel edge system. Lack of an edge support system could mean mattress sagging down the road, or potential roll-off. If this is a must-have feature for you, opt for the Saatva Classic mattress. It features a dual perimeter edge support system and a set of durable innersprings.
Bed Frame Compatibility
Sleep Number mattresses, including the i8, are only compatible with solid platform bases. Sleep Number makes clear that a box spring or wooden slats simply won't suffice to support the air chambers that control your Sleep Number setting. Sleep Number recommends purchasing either their Integrated Base or FlexFit Adjustable Base with your i8.
Sleep Number delivers your mattress to your door, and provides a premium setup service that gets your bed ready for use and teaches you how to use it. Unfortunately, this service is required with every Sleep Number delivery, and is priced at $199. Sleep Number does provide a 100-night trial to ensure that you've made the right choice, and the i8 is protected by a 15-year warranty.
Why Buy the Sleep Number i8?
- You have a tough time finding the right firmness level. With the Sleep Number i8, you'll have 100 different comfort levels to choose from. No more deciding between medium and "luxury firm" – Sleep Number has the right comfort level for you.
- You suffer from a sleep disorder. If you have a clinical diagnosis that makes it difficult for you to fall asleep, a few of the i8's features may help your symptoms. Adjusting the head level is a great way to help mild sleep apnea symptoms, while auto adjustability and the feet warming feature may help those who suffer from insomnia or even narcolepsy get to sleep faster.
- You need a sleep trial to be sure. While sleep trials are becoming increasingly popular, this added bonus isn't always a given when buying a new mattress. Sleep Number's sleep trial gives you over three months of good night's sleeps to be sure that you've made the right investment.
Why Avoid the Sleep Number i8?
- You don't need a smart bed for a good night's sleep. Why fix what isn't broken? If you've slept well on conventional mattresses all your life, and don't have any recent sleep issues to motivate the purchase of a smart bed, then it may be unwise to pay extra money for features that make little difference in your sleep quality. An upgrade doesn't always have to mean "better technology," rather you could opt for a luxury bed such as one from Saatva.
- Paying for a required delivery fee grinds your gears. If you purchase a Sleep Number mattress, the premium delivery and setup is required. This sounds convenient, until you learn that it's a whopping $199. For some, this required delivery fee might be all it takes to walk away from Sleep Number. If you can't come to terms with this requirement you may want to avoid Sleep Number and choose a company that provides free delivery and setup with every mattress purchase like Saatva.
The Sleep Number i8 is a great buy if you want high-tech sleep innovation. Their mattresses are also surprisingly comfortable. You can get the Sleep Number i8 for a great price, today!