Founded in 1893 and manufactured exclusively in the US, Southerland is a mattress brand with over 120 years of expert craftsmanship. This trusted mattress brand provides three different collections of foam and hybrid models that feature lumbar support, cooling capabilities, enhanced edge support, and adjustable bed frame compatibility.
Pick Southerland if...
- You want to buy from a trusted American brand. Southerland has been manufacturing high quality mattresses exclusively in the US since 1893. With over 120 years of experience in the mattress industry, Southerland is a brand you can trust.
- You like variety. While Southerland only has three main Collections, they offer dozens of different models to choose from. Southerland's wide variety makes it easy, even for picky shoppers, to find the right mattress for them.
- You want to sleep cool. Almost every Southerland model features their signature ThermoBalance cover, which wicks away moisture while regulating your temperature for a cooler sleep.
Seek alternatives to Southerland Mattress if...
- You want to buy online, directly from the retailer. While Southerland provides full details and product specs about each model online, they don't have an online store. If you prefer to shop exclusively online, you might want to consider Saatva. Not only can you purchase a mattress through their website, they'll also ship your new bed for free free (including setup!)
- You need a sleep trial. Southerland doesn't include a sleep trial with their mattresses, so unless your third-party retailer does, this could be a con if you're indecisive. Try Saatva, which gives you a generous 180-night sleep trial.
With three different collections and dozens of models to choose from, Southerland provides a comprehensive firmness range to suit all of their customer's preferences.
- Plush: This firmness level is optimal for side and combination sleepers looking for shoulder and hip pressure relief. If you like superior cushioning and feeling more "in" your mattress than "on" it, plush caters to this preference.
- Medium Firm: This is a medium firmness level ideal for all sleep styles, including back and stomach sleepers. Medium firm provides the cushioning you crave with the support you need for healthy spine alignment.
- Firm: Firm is best for back and stomach sleepers who still want a mattress that provides adequate give and responsiveness.
- Extra Firm: Extra Firm models provide superior support and weight distribution, optimal for stomach sleepers. You'll feel more "on" than "in" this mattress.
Construction & Design
- Southerland mattresses range from 8" to 15" high.
- Southerland offers a variety of all foam and hybrid models.
- Signature Collection: Southerland's largest and most popular collection, the Signature Collection combines pressure-relieving, high density foams with responsive coil systems for comfort and support that everyone can enjoy. The Elite models feature copper-infused foam for healthy and therapeutic sleep. Luxury models provide comfort locked foams that make your mattress feel newer, longer. Deluxe models offer premium lumbar foam and zoned coil systems for back pain relief. Classic models use alternating coils that increase support while decreasing roll-off.
- Signature Gel Collection: This collection features adaptive layers of gel infused memory foam, paired with a high density foam core to reduce tossing and turning. This construction also promotes healthy spinal alignment. Each model features Southerland's ThermoBalance cover to keep you cool, and copper infused foam for anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Signature Hybrid Collection: This collection includes comfort locked support foams paired with premium wrapped coils to provide ultimate pressure relief and reduced motion transfer. You can choose an enhanced edge support system or added lumbar support to suit your specific needs.
Whether you're choosing an all-foam or hybrid model, just about every Southerland model isolates motion incredibly well. Their individually wrapped and foam encased coil systems provide zoned support while leaving the other side of the bed undisturbed. The foam models have a high density core designed to limit motion transfer. Southerland mattresses are ideal for couples and those who struggle with tossing and turning at night.
Just like motion isolation, Southerland mattresses have incredible edge support across the board. Nearly every model features a high density foam edge support system. If you're looking for enhanced edge support, opt for a model from the Signature Hybrid Collection. You can upgrade to a PowerEdge edge support system, which is a top of the line system to maximize usable bed surface area and prevent sagging and roll-off.
Bed Frame Compatibility
Southerland mattresses are compatible with most bed frames and foundations, including adjustable frames. We say "most" because Southerland highly recommends purchasing a new foundation if yours is getting old, as a new foundation prolongs your mattress's life.
Southerland mattress shipping and return policies are entirely determined by their third-party retailers. Currently, no information is available online about their return policies for in-store purchases. Each Southerland mattress is protected by a 12-year warranty.
Why Buy Southerland?
- You're looking for a mattress that's compatible with an adjustable base. Every Southerland model is adjustable-base compatible for a custom sleep experience. You can even buy an adjustable bed foundation from Southerland if you're in need.
- You need back pain relief. Both Southerland's Signature and Signature Hybrid collection include models that engineered to provide targeted lumbar support. Zoned coil systems and specialized lumbar foam provides the support you need.
- You sleep with a partner. Southerland's outstanding performance in both motion isolation and edge support makes these models ideal for couples. The PowerEdge system is excellent for maximizing space and ensuring even weight distribution, while specialized coil systems virtually eliminate motion transfer, resulting in a peaceful sleep for both of you.
Why Avoid Southerland?
- You're looking for a latex alternative to memory foam. Despite Southerland's wide range of selection and varying constructions, they don't provide an all-natural, eco-friendly latex model, like many competitors do. If you're an eco-conscious shopper looking for a natural latex alternative, Southerland isn't the right choice. In this case, you'd fair extremely well on the Zenhaven mattress by Saatva. It's constructed with 100% natural Talalay Latex, (and you can buy directly from their website).
- You don't want to buy a new foundation. While it's not totally necessary, Southerland's strong suggestion that you purchase a new foundation with your mattress could double your checkout total. While these mattresses are protected by warranty, there's a chance that if you don't follow this suggestion, you may compromise the warranty.
Southerland is a great choice if you want tried-and-true comfort and quality. Their mattresses are also surprisingly comfortable. You can get a Southerland mattress at a great price, today!